Tara Alvarez: My Three Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health
As part of our “My Three Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health” series, we welcome our VP of Talent Acquisition, Tara Alvarez, to share her experience cultivating Redesign Health’s team of driven innovators. Come join us!
When I took my first call with Redesign, they were super new. They didn’t even have a website.
We’ve obviously grown significantly since then, and being part of that growth has been incredible. While my role has always centered on helping to build companies from the ground up, it’s evolved from calling people and letting them know that we exist, to having brand recognition on both coasts and figuring out how to continue to scale and accelerate hiring.
"We have the opportunity to make a significant impact on people's lives."
My three favorite things about Redesign have remained the same since the very beginning:
1. The people who work at Redesign are well-intentioned, and everyone operates with the highest integrity.
When I first met with Brett Shaheen, the CEO, Kyle Tatz, Head of New Ventures, and Evan Gogel, Head of Portfolio Operations, I was struck by how kind and approachable the team was. Their passion and vision were clear from our first meeting. I could tell that Redesign was building something different, and I’ve never looked back.
2. Redesign’s people-focused culture, where people work hard and are rewarded with incredible opportunities for growth.
Our leadership team understands the importance of Redesign’s growth, but as the company has grown in size, there’s been no compromise when it comes to finding the right people to join our team. People are at the center of everything we do, so we’re really careful when it comes to bringing in individuals who operate with good intentions, and who really care about other people.
Redesign is a fun place to work — but that doesn’t mean we don’t work hard. Our business model is unique and offers a ton of growth opportunities. You can’t go anywhere else and expect to build ten founding teams a year. This is an excellent place to work particularly if you’re looking to challenge an aspect of the status quo and are always searching for the capability to expand.
3. Redesign is on a mission to meaningfully impact people’s lives through innovation in all different areas of healthcare.
I’ve been able to watch one of the first three companies built at Redesign, Vault, grow from a company of 5 people to one composed of over 1,000. Vault’s COVID testing solution has been adopted by over 3,500 businesses, municipalities, states, and schools, supplying over 12 million highly accurate COVID tests to individuals over the course of the pandemic thus far. One of the best parts of the job is hiring the first person on a team and watching the company grow to a Series A. It’s not really surprising that we’re all so passionate about what we do — we have the opportunity to make a significant impact on people’s lives.
Tara is a graduate of Boston College, where she studied Communications and English. Her career in recruiting began at Bridgewater Associates, where she was the Recruiting Operations Coordinator. After a couple of years working in financial consulting at the Gartland and Mellina Group (which has since been acquired by Sia Partners), she returned to the field of recruiting as an Executive Recruiter for Daversa Partners. She began working for Redesign in 2018 as a Talent Lead, and is now the Vice President of Talent Acquisition.
- ImpactRedesign HealthHow Redesign Health Stays Focused on Impact: A Q&A with Thomas Fisher, MD
Venture Chair Thomas Fisher discusses how the Redesign Health impact framework guides our efforts to redesign healthcare.
July 13, 2023
- TALENT ACQUISITIONBrenda Schmidt: From Healthcare CEO to Innovation Leader
Brenda Schmidt, Head of Enterprise Growth, shares how her background as an entrepreneur led to her perfect career match at Redesign Health.
May 04, 2023
- PeopleAmy Dowell: Using The Power of Empathy and Storytelling, My Road to Powering Community in Healthcare
Amy Dowell, Vice President of Marketing, reflects on her career journey and how her unique experience contributes to powering community at Redesign Health.
January 26, 2023
- CEOUnexpected Learnings from Healthcare Leaders
We’ve asked a few leaders to share insights and lessons learned while building businesses across the healthcare ecosystem.
December 06, 2022
- Talent AcquisitionNimish Parikh: My Road To Scaling Impact Through Product Development
In the “My Road to Redesign Health” series, our team members reflect on their career journeys and how their unique experiences contribute to innovation at Redesign Health.
November 08, 2022
- InnovationMissy Krasner: Aligning Incentives to Accelerate Change
We recently spoke with Redesign Health Venture Chair, Missy Krasner, to share her experience building next-generation healthcare solutions at scale. The Redesign Health team is growing. Come join us!
September 22, 2022
- InternshipReflections From Tomorrow’s Leaders: The Summer 2022 Class of Redesign Health Interns
We asked a few of this summer’s Redesign Health Interns to reflect on their experience of helping build high-quality health solutions at scale. Here’s what they had to say:
September 01, 2022
- Talent AcquisitionFrom Social Work to Scaling Operations, My Road to Creating Systemic Change in Healthcare
Welcome to the first post in our “My Road to Redesign Health” series, where our team members reflect on their career journeys and how their unique experiences contribute to innovation at Redesign Health.
August 25, 2022
- Talent AcquisitionScaling Empathy in Cancer Care with Adam Pellegrini, CEO & Co-Founder of Jasper Health
We sat down with Adam Pellegrini, CEO & Co-Founder of Jasper Health, a digital oncology platform built at Redesign Health, which delivers personalized psychosocial support and coaching directly to members via a hybrid, patient-centric approach.
August 18, 2022
- CEOLeadership Lessons from CEOs of Healthcare Companies
Each Operating Company built at Redesign Health is led by a CEO who sets the vision for the company and defines the overall strategy from launch to scale.
August 03, 2022
- InnovationKira Wampler: Driving Change in Healthcare Through Curiosity and Ambition
We spoke with our lead Venture Chair, Kira Wampler, to share her perspective on how Redesign Health is fundamentally changing the care equation by powering innovation at scale.
July 27, 2022
- Patient ExperienceRemoving Barriers to Quality Physical Therapy Care with Kins CEO Dan Smith
We welcome Dan Smith, co-founder and CEO of Kins, a company that’s modernizing physical therapy by combining the best of in-person care with the power of digital.
July 20, 2022
- Talent AcquisitionMax Pomeranc: My Three Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health
As part of our “My Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health’’ series, we welcome our Head of Public Policy, Max Pomeranc, to share his perspective on the importance of partnering with policymakers to make positive changes in healthcare.
July 07, 2022
- Technical OperationsRaheem Gakou: My Three Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health
As part of our “My Three Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health” series, we welcome Technical Operations Associate Raheem Gakou to share his experience creating reliable & secure IT infrastructure for both Redesign Health & Operating Companies.
June 20, 2022
- Talent Acquisition10 Questions with Cynthia Benjamin, CEO of Together Senior Health
As part of our “10 Questions with Redesign Health CEOs” series, we welcome Cynthia Benjamin, CEO, and Co-Founder of Together Senior Health.
June 14, 2022
- Talent Acquisition10 Questions with Jon Cooper, CEO of Overalls
As part of our “10 Questions with Redesign Health CEOs” series, we welcome Jon Cooper, Co-Founder, and CEO of Overalls.
June 09, 2022
- Talent Acquisition10 Questions with Amy Shecter, CEO of Ever/Body
As part of our “10 Questions with CEOs” series, we welcome Amy Shecter, CEO of Ever/Body, a company that works to demystify cosmetic dermatology and make it more accessible.
May 18, 2022
- Talent AcquisitionLesley Solomon: My Three Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health
As a part of our “My Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health’’ series, we welcome one of our Venture Chairs, Lesley Solomon, to share her experience leading the growth of healthcare organizations. The Redesign team is growing. Come join us!
May 04, 2022
- Talent Acquisition10 Questions with Kyle Talcott, CEO of UpLift
Welcome to our first post from the “10 Questions with Redesign Health CEOs” series, where we talk to CEOs of companies built at Redesign Health to learn about their experience building and scaling a healthcare business.
April 20, 2022
- Talent AcquisitionTara Alvarez: My Three Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health
As part of our “My Three Favorite Things About Working at Redesign Health” series, we welcome our VP of Talent Acquisition, Tara Alvarez, to share her experience cultivating Redesign Health’s team of driven innovators.
April 19, 2022